Another brain stretching opportunity? Sign me up! Teachers are called upon to be flexible thinkers like never before, always ready for today, AND what lies ahead. There really never is a dull moment. And I LOVE that! I feel lucky to be in this exciting career because I am naturally drawn to novelties, creativity and a good challenge. And besides that, working with kids and colleagues, growing our brains together, is the best thing since the very first transmission of the internet – at UCLA, of course. Go, Bruins! Every year I learn more about the science and art of brain building. Really, like everything else, the students and I learn about it together.

In August we started off our school year with a Week of Inspirational Math, developed by the YouCubed Team at Stanford University. We were indeed inspired by the videos highlighting current brain research, and we felt encouraged, even excited, to work through our own unique struggles. Did you know your brain grows from making mistakes? Professor Jo Boaler points out on the YouCubed website, that “mistakes cause your brain to spark and grow.” My students and I are able to appreciate our mistakes in a whole new light, based, of course, in research! From the mouth of a 5th grader, “The struggle is real.” And on we go! !Adelante! The Week of iMath videos and activities provoke countless hours of math brilliance in the classroom. If you haven’t checked it out, I highly recommend it!

Every summer, along with thousands of teachers worldwide, I sign myself up for – YESSSS – summer school! Gotta stretch that brain, even during swim season. My newest passion is digging into the Next Generation Science Standards in all of their glory. Have you seen this document? It is a beautiful thing; but, mark my words, find some collaborators to grow that brain of yours, especially if, like me, you come from a solid background in the Humanities. (I am forever grateful to ULV for giving me lab credit for camping – I mean, observing and recording data – at Joshua Tree National Park for their Mountain and Desert Biology course. Go, Leos!) So on a quest for neuro-fireworks, I spent two years involved in our local State University’s Science/Inquiry/ELD Collaborative Professional Development, then joined their Science Leadership Academy, as well as the Floodplain Institute.  Our State University’s education leaders are top notch! And the professionals that I’ve met along the way make me proud to be part of our Northstate team of teachers. It’s been a high learning curve, but most definitely, it’s the 4th of July in my brain.

In case you’re wondering, here’s a link. UCLA Engineering gives an awe inspiring tour! I wonder how many “failed” attempts there were in multiple environments before the message was finally sent that day, now nearly 46 years ago.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/first-message-sent-over-the-internet-45-years-ago/.